To disassemble a 1911 handgun, you will need to follow these steps:
- Make sure the gun is unloaded and remove the magazine.
- Lock the slide back by pulling it all the way to the rear.
- Turn the gun over and locate the slide stop. It is a small pin that holds the slide in place.
- Press the slide stop out from the right side of the gun using your thumb or a small tool.
- Release the slide and let it move forward slightly.
- Lift the front of the slide up and off the frame.
- Remove the recoil spring and guide rod from the slide.
- Turn the gun over and remove the barrel bushing by turning it counterclockwise.
- Remove the barrel from the slide.
It is important to follow these steps carefully and to make sure that the gun is unloaded before attempting to disassemble it. Disassembling a firearm can be dangerous if not done properly, so if you are not comfortable with this process, it is recommended to have a trained gunsmith do it for you.